Wednesday 1 December 2010

My guardian angel works overtime

Do you believe in angels?  I do - my life has been blessed with so much good fortune, timely occurrences and luck of the draw.  My guardian angel works overtime.

The big Cameroonian adventure is over.  But what a blessing it was.  I learned so much - about Africa, about Cameroon, about great people and great challenges.  Mostly, I learned about myself - some good things and some not so good.  I like to think I am a better person today than I was eight months ago.

As you know, I had a medical scare.  Julie was visiting in Cameroon and by chance (by guardian angel) I mention a little problem I had been having.  Dr. Julie soon had me going for tests, which turned out just ambiguous enough for SVO UK (they were terrific!) to call me back  for more tests in London.  We caught it early.  There are pre-cancer cells, but in the earliest stages.  It now requires monitoring and if and when these cells develop, treatment will be quick and simple.  Thanks, Guardian Angel.

We spent a month taking refuge with our friends, Ann and Joe Wells in London.  We met Ann and Joe quite by chance (by guardian angel) about a year ago.  We became friends and when we needed them, their door was wide open.  We stayed with them a whole month - giving new meaning to the phrase 'overstaying your welcome'.  Yet this wonderful couple was always gracious and welcoming.  Thanks, Guardian Angel.

Dave and I have been in Winnipeg almost a week now.  We are spending time with our son Eric and his partner Claude before we go see Julie and Paul in Toronto, and spend Christmas with Robert and Linnea in Montreal.  One of my biggest regrets about going to Cameroon is that I would not be with my family for Christmas.  It will be a great time to re-connect with family and friends.  Guardian Angel saw to that too!

January will be time to begin a new adventure - what that is we are not sure yet, but I know my guardian angel won't fail me.  We miss Cameroon and all the wonderful people we met there.  We won't forget them soon and maybe some day, we will have the chance to go back to visit (Can you do anything about that, Guardian Angel?)

So this is the last blog about the Cameroonian adventure.  Thank you all for sharing it with us.  Please, stay in touch.

6 comments:

  1. It's been great to live your Cameroonian adventure through the blog. Thank you for allowing us to be part of your life the last 8 months. I know I've learned a lot from it. Now I'm very happy that you are back home & able to reconnect with family & friends in Canada. Knowing you two, the adventure is just on pause......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making reservations for a month in Winnipeg, preferably in the lovely summer weather. Glad you're home safe.

    Ann & Joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missing you both already, but was great getting to spend some time with you again in London.

    The best bit is that you are back home with the family. Don't let them go short on mum and dad hugs.

    I hope my kids never get too old for a hug from mum or dad.

    Take care you both - if I wish hard enough, I'll get to Canada at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your next steps, whatever they turn out to be. Being in Cameroon just for a short time is so valuable, you'll find memories popping up at unexpected times and influencing you in unpredictable ways.
    Best wishes
    Ros

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back to Canada. Dave if you're ever in Ottawa, please look me up. You have a lot of explaining to do. After all I gave you 8 1/2 years of my life. M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I guess no one reads this blog anymore. For those wondering what I mean in my comments to Dave, I was his mistress for 8 1/2 years. His wife, kids and in-laws know about this. I can't believe Ginette stayed with him after I told her about this, and especially after all the things he told me about her. But I guess those were lies. After all he told me he lies to everyone, his wife, kids, family, friends, co-workers, etc. I wonder how many mistresses he left in England and Cameroon?

    ReplyDelete