Wednesday 16 June 2010

It's just that...

It isn’t that I don’t want to return to Cameroon, it’s just that I don’t want to leave Canada. It is very difficult to leave family this time, maybe because I feel we will be so far away for what seems to be such a long time.
So, 35,000 feet up, somewhere over the Atlantic, I am wondering – is this the right thing?
The trip to Canada was fabulous. In a whirlwind tour that is becoming our norm, we travelled across Canada and back again twice, enjoying every minute, even the time we slept in the car because we could not find a hotel.
The day after landing in Toronto, we flew to Calgary to meet up with the happy couple. Caravanning the moving truck and car 2300 miles and 2 time zones down the Trans-Canada highway, we moved all their wordly belongings to Montreal. On the way, we visited briefly with my sisters in Kirkland Lake, my aunt and sister in law in Rouyn Noranda, my brother, brother in law, nieces and nephews and friends in Ottawa.
A few days later, we were off in the opposite direction again toward British Columbia, north to Prince George, then drove two hours to the little town of Wells and the historic town of Barkerville where Rob and Linnea were married. Picture wonderful meals, story telling, laughter and catching up.... Picture wedding rehearsal, morning at the beauty salon (including mamosas) and decorating the reception hall. Picture a beautiful wedding, a glamorous bride arriving by stage coach to a small rustic village chapel to marry my first born. 
Then it starts getting difficult. The goodbyes on the Sunday after a fun BB-Q at Linnea`s parents` cottage were wrenching. I did not want to leave and hugged Robert so hard, I might have bruised him.
Next stop: Winnipeg to visit Dave’s mom who we helped move into a senior’s residence. It is good that she is in a good place where all her needs will be met. Very difficult to leave knowing that she is frail and not knowing when we might return.  So another difficult goodbye, quickly followed by another when we left Eric and Claude – why must I always get weapy?
Our last day was spent in Toronto with Julie who just finished a 24 hour shift at Sick Kids. She came with us on some last minute errands and we had a lunch together. Time for anotherdifficult goodbye. We missed Paul who had not yet returned from a business trip.

It is not that I don’t want to go back to Cameroon; it`s just that I don’t want to leave Canada.

So, focus on what awaits in Cameroon,  the friends that we made, the work we will do, the small contribution we hope to make. Time will pass quickly and when the time comes, it will be hard to leave there to return home.

It is just that I miss my family, the friends I saw and those I did not get to se, the fresh air and the space of Canada.  But I will make it and when I return to Canada, family and friends will be there and I will have a pile of great memories to share. It is just that, way up in the sky, there are still tears.

5 comments:

  1. Great to see a new post on the journal. I miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ginette and Dave -

    I'm sure it is difficult to be apart from family again, speaking as someone who recently moved back home... but I have come to believe that you grow so much through meeting new people and sharing new experiences with them. It's the people that we meet along the way that change lives... I may not always remember the details of the Monkey Puzzle but I will always remember a couple of great Canadians I shared a few pints with there. Your both great people, go change some lives in the small daily way...
    And keep posting it's great to hear your experiences.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. We, too, are so happy to see your blog again, and to know that your good work continues. You once said to me that "volunteers move the world", so go move the world, and we're here listening.

    Ann & Joe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see you're blogging - I certainly see now why we were 'out of the loop', so to speak.
    Your trip was a mix of happy / sad, eh? And, isn't that life? It's wonderful that you and your family are so close.
    We're listening, and look forward to each post.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so easy to identify with your emotions on the return trip. But you are making a difference in the lives of your small piece of Cameroon. That legacy will enrich the lives of others well after you are back home in Canada. My heart goes out to you in your pain but I know you'll be laughing & smiling for those new friends in Bamenda. Keep well, my friends.....

    ReplyDelete